CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Harvard Asian American Policy Review
Submissions Deadline: November 20, 2022
The Asian American Policy Review (AAPR) at Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government is now accepting submissions for its 33rd edition, to be published in the spring of 2023. The AAPR is the oldest journal in the nonpartisan academic journal dedicated to analyzing public policy issues facing the Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) community. This year, our journal will be going all-digital and pieces will be published at aapr.hkspublications.org.
We are dedicated to publishing a wide range of work that explores AAPI communities and identities and examines the role of public policy in the lives of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders. We aim to publish a journal that captures a broad range of AAPI experiences, movements, and identities and makes this work accessible to policymakers and the broader public.
We welcome a wide range of submissions and are eager to publish work that broadens the boundaries of what constitutes public policy. Past editions have published photo essays, poetry, and personal essays that explore the intersection of culture, identity, and politics. We also encourage submissions that directly address public policy, including research articles and case studies on how different policies have affected the AAPI community, from the local to the federal level.
We strongly encourage submissions from authors of all backgrounds, including scholars, policy makers, civil servants, advocates, organizers, and artists.
Please reach out if you have questions about the journal or our submissions process. We are happy to speak with potential authors about submission ideas and the journal process.
- We prefer submissions that have not been previously published. All submissions must be based on original work;
- Recommended formatting:
- Original articles: includes research articles, case studies, and other work examining issues facing AAPI communities and individuals (1,500 to 5,000 words)
- Commentaries: (750 to 1,500 words)
- Media, film, and book reviews (750 to 1,500 words)
- Artwork: includes graphic design, installation pieces, photography, and paintings.
- Creative writing pieces: includes short stories, poetry, and excerpts from larger works of all genres. (500 to 5,000 words)
- Short films and documentaries to be featured on our website.
Abstracts for proposed pieces may also be accepted. Final acceptance will be based upon production of a full submission.
- Submissions must be formatted according to The Chicago Manual of Style.
- All submissions should include a cover page with (1) the author’s name, (2) mailing address, (3) email address, (4) phone number, and (5) a brief biography of no more than 100 words.
- All figures, tables, and charts must be clear, easy to understand, and submitted as separate files.
- Authors are required to collaborate with editing and fact-checking and comply with AAPR’s mandated deadlines.
Please email submissions and any questions you may have to firstname.lastname@example.org.